Ellen Emilie Stensrud
Fields of research:
Currently, I am coordinating a project on international minority protection and mass atrocity prevention, which is funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the period 2017-2019. It is part of the Center’s strategy to strengthen its work in the international human rights field, and to combine the Center’s competence on minority studies and genocide studies.
My research looks at severe human rights abuses against minorities. In particular, I study mechanisms for monitoring, warning and prevention of mass atrocities. Myanmar is the first case study of the project. The study of Myanmar will be part of a comparative study on warnings of mass atrocity crimes (including, but not limited to genocide). Further, a central aim will be to collect and develop knowledge about successful cases of conflict solution and de-escalation of violence. By focusing on a broader set of cases than clear-cut genocides, and on mechanisms that aim to monitor and prevent human rights abuses, the project aims to bridge gaps between the genocide studies field and the broader human rights field.
As part of this project I will coordinate a two-day international conference on genocide prevention in September 2018, to mark the 70th anniversary of the Genocide Convention.I am also closely affiliated with the work of the Minority Network, coordinated by Ingvill Plesner here at the Holocaust center. My research provides input for the international activities of the Minority Network.
Other Fields of interest:
- Genocide studies
- Human rights and international tribunals
- Monitoring of human rights violations
- South East Asia (Cambodia and Myanmar in particular)
- Qualitative and comparative methods
“Transitional Justice and the Problem of Legitimacy. A Study of the Mixed Courts in Cambodia and Sierra Leone.” 2015.
- Stensrud, Ellen Emilie, 2016. “Myanmar and the genocide debate: Why definitions matter”, Center for Studies of Holocaust and Religious Minorities, report.
- Plesner, Ingvill T. and Ellen Emilie Stensrud, 2016. “Er minoritetsvern god realpolitik? [Is Minority Protection good Realpolitik]”, Center for Studies of Holocaust and Religious Minorities, Conference report.
- Stensrud, Ellen, Ingvill Thorson Plesner, Cecilie Hellestveit and Kari M. Osland, 2016. “Rettighetsvern er realpolitikk [Protection of rights is Realpolitik]”, Op-Ed, VG, 30 August 2016.
- Stensrud, Ellen Emilie, 2015. “Mixed Courts and the Problem of Legitimacy: A Study of the Mixed Courts in Cambodia and Sierra Leone”. Phd-thesis, Department of Political Science, University of Oslo.
- Stensrud, Ellen Emilie, 2014. “Den kambodsjanske tragedien og kampen om oppgjøret etter Pol Pot [The Cambodian Tragedy and the Fight for Justice after Pol Pot]”, in Bernt Hagtvet, Nik. Brandal and Dag Einar Thorsen (eds.) Folkemordenes Svarte Bok [The Black Book of Genocide] (2nd edition). Oslo University Press.
- Stensrud, Ellen Emilie, 2014. “Rettsoppgjør [Trials]”, in Bernt Hagtvet, Nik. Brandal and Dag Einar Thorsen (eds.) Folkemordenes Svarte Bok [The Black Book of Genocide] (2nd edition). Oslo University Press.
- Stensrud Ellen Emilie, 2010. “Mixed justice, mixed legacy : the special court for Sierra Leone”, in Lilian A. Barria and Steven D. Roper (eds.) The Development of Institutions of Human Rights. A Comparative Study. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Stensrud, Ellen Emilie, 2009. "New Dilemmas in Transitional Justice: Lessons from the Mixed Courts in Sierra Leone and Cambodia", Journal of Peace Research, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 5-15.
- Brandal, Nik., Ellen Emilie Stensrud og Dag Einar Thorsen, 2008. "Møtet med den massive volden [Facing Mass Violence]", in Bernt Hagtvet (red.) Folkemordenes Svarte Bok [The Black Book of Genocide] (1st edition). Oslo University Press.
- Stensrud, Ellen Emilie, 2007. ”Rettferdighet kan straffe seg [Justice may backfire]”, Op-Ed, Aftenposten, 26 July 2007.
- Stensrud, Ellen, 2006. “Closing the Books. Transitional Justice in Historical Perspective, Jon Elster”, Journal of Peace Research, vol. 43 no. 3, p. 352 (book review).
- Stensrud, Ellen and Gørill Husby, 2005. ”Resolution 1325: From Rhetoric to Practice. A Report on Women's Role in Reconciliation Processes in the Great Lakes in Africa", CARE Norway in collaboration with PRIO.
- Stensrud, Ellen, 2005. Mixed Courts: The Cambodian Case. The UN Involvement and the Prospects for a Fair Trial in Cambodia. Thesis for the degree Cand.Polit. Department of Political Science, University of Oslo.
- Stensrud, Ellen, 2004. “The Specter of Genocide: Mass Murder in Historical Perspective, Ben Kiernan og Robert Gellately (eds.)”, Journal of Peace Research, vol. 41 no. 6 (book review).